Esports, club of the future

Matthew McQueen, Plaid Truth Staff

The goal of clubs in school is to help kids discover new passions or show off their passions to their friends and fellow students while having fun. The Royal Highlanders Esports Club is no different. Club president, Mason Payne, said, “I wanted to find a way to get students to spend time with other students.” With this idea he came up with the Esports Club, hosting tournaments and solo play for gamers. 

The club hosts many different games to play and many opportunities to play. They have a variety of games such as Fortnite, Minecraft, Call of Duty Warzone, Modern Warfare, League of Legends, Rocket League, Smash Bros, and  more. “You can join the club by joining the reminder, attending all the meetings on Zoom, and join the discord,” Vice President Gabe Ramirez said. Ramirez also said, “We should have one every month,” regarding the tournaments that the club holds. The club has already had one tournament in Valorant, they are having a Call Of Duty tournament this month and are planning on having another tournament for a different game next month. 

In order to participate in these tournaments you have to be in discord and you have to have some knowledge in the game they are playing. You will also have to come up with a team inside the discord ranging from your friends or even people you haven’t met before. The club has around 60 students/players ready to play. You can choose your own games to play, you just have to be present when the play date comes. The club hosts many opportunities in a variety of games, anyone can join, and anyone can have fun. Join today and you can find new friends and new teammates for games you play or games you have never played before.