• Follow School Twitters! @theRoyalHS @AthleticsRoyal @highlanderYB @rhsvocalmusic @royalhsband @royalhighPTSA @Act4Royal @AthleticsRoyal

Mr. Highlander Pageant raises funds for beloved teacher

Back to Article
Back to Article

John G., Sports Editor

The 2018 Royal High School Senior  boys Highlander Pageant was held on April 11 in the MPR. There were twelve boys competing to show off their amazing talents. Seniors B. Tran, C. Alvarez, P. Barker, L. Melton, J. Valencia, S. Ruiz, E. Fong, J. Grant, S. Dodge, B. Tovar, D. Petty, and I. Elizando all competed at this event.

Tran won the Mr. Congeniality award for being the best to work with. He sang  in a group with Barker, Valencia, and Melton. They were singing “I Want It That Way” by the Back Street Boys. Elizando won most talented by drumming along to the song “Won’t Last” by RDGLD GRN. Then for the winner of most fans and the most important, Mr. Highlander, Alvarez did a magic show that blew the crowd away, and most important the judges. The most important reason for doing this show was to raise money for a beloved teacher in Simi Valley. His name is Mr. Verry, who is currently battling Prostate cancer.  We raised $9,000 to help him out. The man brings smiles to everyone, and never has anything bad to say about anyone. He was also a coach for football, track, and wrestling at one point in his long career. Please keep him in your prayers as we hope for the best.