• Follow School Twitters! @theRoyalHS @AthleticsRoyal @highlanderYB @royal3news @rhsvocalmusic @royalhsband @Royal_PTSA @Act4Royal @AthleticsRoyal

Simi Valley Pageant

Natalie M., Reporter

The 2nd Annual Miss Simi Valley Days Pageant was held on Sunday, April 22. The event took place at Simi Valley High School in the gym and was put on by the Simi Valley Days Foundation.

The event started at 4 p.m. and was hosted by Nacho L. and Jen C. The judges for the event were Mayor Bob Huber, SVUSD teacher Heather C., School Board Trustee Scott B., Simi Valley Days Foundation Board Member and owner of Inspire Dance Studio Cindy R., and Miss Simi Valley Days 2016 Mikayla W.

There were three divisions for the competition, Petite Miss Simi Valley Days, from ages 7-11, Junior Miss Simi Valley Days, ages 12-14, and Miss Simi Valley Days, ages 15-18. There were two parts to the competition, an interview section and a talent section. All three divisions went through the interview round and were asked questions they had previously gone over before the competition. All contestants answered their questions with very thoughtful answers.

Next was the talent portion, where the girls displayed their talents. Some of the talents that were displayed were dancing, singing, martial arts, bell ringing, hula dancing, ribbon twirling and acting.

After the talent portion, while the last marks were being made, a video was being played recapping the year of events for the 2016 Miss Simi Valley Days winners. Then the winners were announced. The winner of the Petite Miss Simi Valley Days 2017 was Annie Philips, the winner of the Junior Miss Simi Valley Days was Allison C., and the winner of the Miss Simi Valley Days 2017 division was Nickie A., our fellow Highlander.

Nickie answered a question regarding the biggest concern regarding people her age and she answered with how she thought teenagers’ obsession with their phones and technology instead of face to face interaction was the biggest concern. Nickie displayed her talent of contemporary dance. Congratulations to all of the contestants, the winners, and specifically Nickie A., our fellow Highlander!